badge

Friday, August 4, 2023

Tickles and Tears

It was a seemingly ordinary evening when I decided to take my son out to play. Little did I know that a valuable, albeit painful, lesson and some damage awaited me.

As we were enjoying ourselves, small raindrops began falling on my cheeks, signaling that a heavy downpour was on its way. Realizing this, I urged my son to head back home, but he was determined to go to the indoor play area instead. I had no choice but to follow him.

The rain soon intensified, accompanied by strong gusts of wind that seemed relentless for a continuous 15 minutes. Panic set in as I remembered leaving my bedroom window open, and I live on a sky-scraping floor. The thought of my laptop and other belongings being flooded terrified me. I also questioned if I had closed the main living room door. Stuck inside due to the rain, those 15 minutes felt like an eternity under immense pressure.

When the rain finally stopped, I pleaded with my son to head home, but he was busy playing with his friends and refused. Seeing my distress, a kind friend offered to take care of him while I rushed back. However, upon returning, I found my bedroom in a state of chaos. All my laptops were soaked, the bed was completely wet, and precious books were now damaged. 

Initially, I felt anger towards my son for not coming with me when I asked him to, as it could have prevented this incident. But now, I realized there was no use dwelling on it; the damage was done, and cleaning up would take 45 minutes of my time. I had to prioritize picking up my son since my friend couldn't look after him for long due to other commitments.


On my way to get my son, I remembered that the incident was partly my fault too. I should have closed the window before leaving. It wasn't fair to expect a child to anticipate such occurrences, and closing a window for a short out might not be practical. My anger subsided, and I learned the value of postponing my reactions.

Upon reaching the indoor play area, I explained the situation to my son, hoping he would show some shock and decide to come home with me. However, with a big smile, he simply said, "I want to play."

At first, this frustrated me, but I managed to ask him politely to come with me. After 15 minutes of pleading and patiently waiting, he finally agreed to come with me.

As we reached home, he hurried to the bedroom to see the flood. On spotting the pool of water, he couldn't resist turning it into a splash zone! He jumped in like a dolphin, thoroughly enjoying himself. II reached for the mop to clean up, but he snatched it from me, eager to help. However, he ended up making an even bigger mess. 

During my busy working day, 45 minutes is precious time I can't afford to invest. I had important meetings to attend as well. Growing angrier, I requested him to hand me the mop, but he refused.Frustrated, I left the place and started cleaning up once he was done.

As a parent, I've always aspired to be gentle, opting for a friendly approach rather than raising my voice and yelling in frustration. However, I've come to realize that the children of today have an uncanny ability to test our patience and drive us to the edge of madness.

As tears welled up in my eyes, I couldn't help but think, where my parents never even bothered to support me for a day.

As I grappled with the urge to escape to a place where solitude reigned, my mind echoed a wise reminder: "While children may test our limits, it is essential to find a balance between firmness and empathy, We must learn to foster a loving relationship with our little ones, regardless of the challenges that come our way."

No comments:

Post a Comment