badge

Friday, June 30, 2023

Work-Life Gone Wild

Life has a funny way of throwing unexpected challenges at us, especially when we think we have everything under control. Like a fearless circus performer effortlessly tossing balls through the air, I prided myself on the balancing art of juggling between personal life and professional life.

As fate would have it, the week that followed turned into an endless cycle of never-ending meetings. Since morning, I had been sitting in front of my laptop, experiencing back pain. As the night approached, the walls appeared to spin around me, engulfing me in a whirlpool of conversations, presentations, and deadlines.

Amidst the chaos of extended work hours, my laptop became the stage for a peculiar performance. Java coding, usually familiar and comprehensible, now danced before my eyes in a foreign language, leaving me bewildered. 

Just when I thought things couldn't get any more chaotic, my son's cries. In a mad rush, I hurried to his side, desperately trying to calm him down and soothe his distress. The exhaustion from work merged with the exhaustion of parenthood, creating a cocktail of fatigue that threatened to overwhelm me.

In the midst of this whirlwind, a message unexpectedly popped up on my screen. It promised a source of income, stating that by allowing a tower to be placed on my house, I could earn an impressive sum of money. In that moment, I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of it all. It felt as though the weight of the world was already on my shoulders, so why not add a tower on my head to complete.

As I pondered the madness that had become my daily routine, a thought crossed my mind. Why do we work ourselves to the bone, day and night, sacrificing our well-being for the illusion of success? 

While outsiders may perceive my work as glamorous, only us "ITians" truly understand the glamorous chaos that lies beneath the surface.

In the eerie depths of the night, as the clock shamelessly struck the hour of 1 am, I found myself standing on the balcony, observing the bustling city as it fell into a hushed stillness on Friday. Even the party hard people must have succumbed to a deep slumber. The highways continued to showcase a few buses and cars. 

Suddenly, the piercing wail of the ambulance siren reached my ears, slicing through the air. My mind warned me that if I continued on this path, I would likely meet my graveyard, succumbing to a heart attack at the ripe age of 36.

In the midst of my own self-reflection, I happened to observe a woman making her way to work. She was a house cleaning lady, starting her work at the crack of dawn, there were countless individuals like her, toiling away silently and tirelessly to support their families. It served as a humbling reminder that I was blessed with an extraordinary amount of privilege.

The sound of the team's meeting ringtone blared through my laptop speakers and I logged into yet another meeting. 

Yes, Life has its way of shaking us out of our comfort zones and balancing work and personal life is a constant struggle, but amidst the pain and laughter, we discover our own strength and resilience. 

1 comment:

  1. Such a wonderful writing dear.It portrays each and every struggle of an IT working women faces on daily basis and their mindset. At the end, u nailed it with the postive approach which we need imply to ur life.

    ReplyDelete